Friday 24 September 2010

New Work

I feel like I have neglected my little art blog. This is because I've been focusing on lovely creations instead. But now I'm back and ready to fill your minds with all my ideas for this year...

I have fallen back into my attraction to the Bath buildings.. it isn't hard the architecture here is just amazing.
Though it is the hidden secrets that fascinate me more. The ever so slight changes in the structure of a building, from what it was to how it is now. I'm interested at looking at the building plans for certain structures, seeing what was on the original plans and what is there now.
For some of my research I have been walking around Bath taking photos of traces of history on the walls of Bath.




In the above picture can you spot where there was once an arched doorway and a window...




Looking into the history of Bath, it emerged that it was once a walled city, which I find interesting, because those buildings that were inside the walls in the medieval time are what would have framed the city. I would like to find the buildings that remained after the rebuild in the georgian times. if there were any, and what buildings where erected on top of them.

This is Bath as a walled city in the medieval times. you can find out more about these times and where I got the the picture from at Bath Past.





During the Georgian times bath burst out of the confines of the walls and grew in size and in grandeur.
John Wood being the main architect on the scene, planning buildings with the grander of palaces but in a row of private houses. Buildings such as the Circus, and places such as Queens Square and the Parades.

The famous Bath stone was supplied by Combe Down quarries that was owned by Ralph Allen.
The solidarity and exclusiveness of the stone is what makes Bath so magical. The warming golden colour that enlightens the city at sunrise and sunset is so incredible.
I would like to get hold of some of the bath stone and create some artwork from it, maybe for a few engravings. Engraving memories of bath...







No comments:

Post a Comment