Tuesday 25 May 2010

Drawers

These are a set of drawers I've casted from one draw that I found on the side of the road.
It made me think about Bachellard's 'Poetics of Space', his thoughts on how a house and the objects inside it are "abodes for an unforgettable past". He talks about space, and how its a place of dreams and memories. This is why I became engaged with the negative of the draw, the space inside it, the memories. Influenced greatly by Rachel Whiteread how she talks about space, and casts negatives of domestic objects.
I have this image of someone going about their daily routine opening and closing the draw, placing their hands inside, and the objects inside it. This fleeting memory and passing of time, past present and future, seems to almost intermingle, as if there's some sort of time vortex, allowing us to view all three.

This is why I have three, wooden, plaster, and concrete.



No comments:

Post a Comment