Friday 26 November 2010

My First Crit This Year...

So, for my first crit of the year I submitted my video of me sweeping in and around the studio, others being unaware of what I was doing and why. I became as much fascinated by the almost comical way in which the process was captured on film, as with the actual dirt I swept up. Therefore could not decide which to show, and so paired them together. 


During the crit, questions were brought up concerning the urn. Why did I put the dirt in the urn?
Some didn't like it because of its obvious connotations to death. However, I think that is why I liked it. 
At first I started by just sweeping the floor because it was dirty, then I liked the way I was peeling away the paint on the floor whilst doing it, sweeping away the layers.
Leading back to my fascination with buildings and architecture and imprints that are left. So by actually having swept a layer of skin almost off this building I was preserving the imprints and history of all those whom had stepped on or produced work on this floor.



Though, after the crit I decided to try it without the urn, and emptied the contents onto the surface of the plinth, as it would be when I empty the dustpan. I do like the idea of archiving and preserving each dustpan's worth of dirt, maybe which room it came from and what date. 


It seems as though I'm going to be a professional cleaning lady after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment